NOTE:This was the article i wrote for my company’s magazine some months back. Its a just a fact sheet. Hope you guys have something to add to it!!
As you have read this word you must have groaned ahhh.. another article on apple computers. Wait we are not talking about apple computers. We are talking about apple as a fruit, noun or anything else. So first thing first, why Apple! Well ladies and gentleman it was an Apple, which was the cause of the ultimate sin between Adam and Eve. Remember the Story?
So what else it comes to your mind when I say apple. For sure the name of great scientist Sir Isaac Newton will ring a bell. For those who still are searching for an answer he is the same person who discovered gravity.
Here are some of the interesting folklore on Apple.
• Swiss folklore holds that William Tell courageously shot an apple from his son’s head with his crossbow, defying a tyrannical ruler and bringing freedom to his people.
• Irish folklore claims that if an apple is peeled into one continuous ribbon and thrown behind a woman’s shoulder, it will land in the shape of the future husband’s initials.
• Apples are said to remove birthmarks when rubbed on the skin.
• In the fairy tale Snow White and Seven Dwarfs, the princess is killed, or sunk into a kind of coma with the appearance of death, by choking on a poisoned apple given to her by her stepmother. Later, the princess is jostled into coughing up the piece, miraculously returning her to life.
• In the United States, Denmark and Sweden, an apple (polished) is a traditional gift for a teacher. This stemmed from the fact that teachers during the 16th to 18th centuries were poorly paid, so parents would compensate the teacher by providing food. As apples were a very common crop, students would often give teachers baskets of apples. As wages increased, the quantity of apples was toned down to a single fruit.
• In Ancient Greece, a man throwing an apple to a woman was a proposal of marriage. Catching it meant she accepted
And here are some Facts.
• The name of the Russian party Yabloko means “apple”. Its logo represents an apple in the constructivist style.
• Apple Records and Apple Computers both have the apple as their logo. Apple computer had to pay $80,000 to Apple Records for the use of the apple logo in a case filed by the apple records.
• Apple contains 25% air. That makes it float in water.
• Apple Computers first logo was Newton sitting underneath an apple tree.
• I bet if any one of you knew this. McIntosh is a variety of apple from which the name of Macintosh Operating system is taken.
• The founders of Apple Computer had one thing common in personal life they both had their first name as Steve. Steve wozniak and Steve Job.
• New York city is also called as the Big Apple.
Last but not the least always remember “An apple a day keeps the doctor away, if the doctor is lovable keep the Apple away”.
Reference : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple